Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 12 hrs
Cook 10 mins
An involved recipe well worth the time and effort and just lovely dipped in your favorite hot beverage. Baking time approximate. From the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Beat eggs until thick.
- Add sugar gradually, beating well between each addition until all is combined and then beat for about 15 minutes.
- This make the finished cookies fine-grained and light.
- Add anise oil and blend.
- Fold in the flour lightly.
- Roll out dough about 1/2 inch thick.
- Flour springerli mold carefully and press firmly into dough.
- Remove mold and cut cookies along the line of imprint.
- Flour mold each time it is used.
- Sprinkle anise seed, if desired, on the greased cookie sheets before placing the cookies on them.
- Place molded cookies on prepared cookie sheets.
- Let cookies stand overnight in a cool place to dry.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place cookies in oven and immediately reduce the heat to 300F for ten to fifteen minutes.
- When baked the cookies should be light in color with the appearance of having been iced.
- Keep the cookies in a tightly sealed can for two or three weeks before using to allow development of best flavor.
- To soften cookies, place an apple in the can a day or two before using.