12 hrs 10 mins
An involved recipe well worth the time and effort and just lovely dipped in your favorite hot beverage. Baking time approximate. From the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat eggs until thick.
- 2Add sugar gradually, beating well between each addition until all is combined and then beat for about 15 minutes.
- 3This make the finished cookies fine-grained and light.
- 4Add anise oil and blend.
- 5Fold in the flour lightly.
- 6Roll out dough about 1/2 inch thick.
- 7Flour springerli mold carefully and press firmly into dough.
- 8Remove mold and cut cookies along the line of imprint.
- 9Flour mold each time it is used.
- 10Sprinkle anise seed, if desired, on the greased cookie sheets before placing the cookies on them.
- 11Place molded cookies on prepared cookie sheets.
- 12Let cookies stand overnight in a cool place to dry.
- 13In the morning, preheat oven to 375°F.
- 14Place cookies in oven and immediately reduce the heat to 300F for ten to fifteen minutes.
- 15When baked the cookies should be light in color with the appearance of having been iced.
- 16Keep the cookies in a tightly sealed can for two or three weeks before using to allow development of best flavor.
- 17To soften cookies, place an apple in the can a day or two before using.
Nutritional Facts for Springerle
Serving Size: 1 (16 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 72
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 56.5
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 11.7 mg
- Sodium 4.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 1.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: