1 hr 25 mins
I got this from a seasonal cookbook. Sometimes it's too early for fresh spinach, so I go for turnip greens. The tumeric adds a little flavor and gives the rice that yellow "Spanish rice" look. I like cooking this in my Dutch oven on a Sunday.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large garlic clove (minced)
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 16 cups fresh spinach (loosely packed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- 1In a saucepan, sauté 1 clove garlic (minced), onion, uncooked rice and ground tumeric in 1 tablespoon oil until onion is tender. Stir often.
- 2Add broth and mix well. Simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes for white rice, 40 minutes for brown rice. Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes, fluff with fork.
- 3While rice cooks, heat 1 tablespoon oil in frypan on high heat. Add garlic and spinach, one handful at a time as it wilts, adding a little water as needed to prevent sticking. Spinach should be moist, with loose leaves, not clumped together.
- 4Mix black beans and chili powder in a bowl. Layer ingredients as follows in 2-quart casserole: half of spinach, all of the rice, all of the beans, remaining spinach.
- 5Sprinkle cheese on top. (At this point, casserole may be tightly covered and refrigerated until ready to bake.) Cover and bake at 375F until sizzling, 45 minutes. Or heat in microwave about 10 minutes then let stand 5 minutes. Serve by spooning into warm flour tortillas. Optional garnishes: salsa, avocados, guacamole, sour cream, Tabasco pepper sauce, chopped fresh cilantro, lime wedges.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spring Veggie Burrito Bake
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 414.3
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 25.1 mg
- Sodium 553.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 22.8 g