Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
One bowl of this hearty soup provides three of the recommended five daily servings of vegetables!
- 1 cup dried navy beans or 1 cup white beans, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 medium leeks, diced and rinsed well
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 8 ounces Red Bliss potatoes or 8 ounces yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 lb plum tomato, cubed
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces green beans, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 cup fresh shelled peas (or thawed frozen peas)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Cover beans with 6 cups cold water in a large pot- Bring to a boil; remove from heat and let stand, covered, 1 hour.
- Drain beans; return to pot- Cover with 3 quarts cold water.
- Add bay leaf and thyme; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium; simmer, partially covered, until beans are barely tender, about 2 hours.
- Add leeks, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, broth, and 2 cups water.
- Simmer, partially covered, until the beans are tender, about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Make pesto: Finely chop garlic in a food processor.
- Add basil; process.
- Add cheese and oil; process until combined.
- Add green beans and zucchini to pot.
- Cook, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Add peas; cook until soft, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide among bowls; top each with 1 heaping teaspoon pesto.