Recipe by Chickee
I love making this when leeks are cheap. It will freeze well and tastes great! From a really old newspaper clipping.
Top Review by MarthaStewartWanabe
Excellent! My DH and I loved this soup and will definitely make it again. The only changes I made were using a bunch of scallions instead of a leek and basil instead of parsley simply because I forgot to place them on my grocery list. We enjoyed the finish the wilted spinich gave to the dish. I served this soup with crusty bread, which we used to soak up every last drop! Thank you very much for a delicious recipe!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, white section finely sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 (440 g) can tomatoes
- 1 1⁄4 liters vegetable stock
- 200 g green beans (frozen or fresh)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 30 g baby spinach leaves, shredded finely (large handful)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and cook leek about 3 minutes until softened.
- Add the carrot and celery, cook 5 minutes.
- Add potato, tomatoes and stock, bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes.
- Add beans and cook a further 5 minutes, season to taste. Add parsley and stir to combine.
- Divide soup between warmed bowls. Place a pile of shredded spinach on top of soup and serve immediately.