Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Modified for our tastes from Cooking Light - trying to cook more healthy here!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 small sweet onion, chopped
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, presliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2⁄3 cup organic chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of (use same lemon for zest)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed into 1-inch pieces
- Cook penne by directions; a few minutes before pasta appears to be finished, blanch asparagus in pasta pot. Drain both and keep warm (this should be going on at the same time the rest of the dish is being made).
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add mushrooms and onion, saute' until tender (five minutes or so). Add thyme and garlic to pan, and saute' for another minute. Add flour evenly and stir constantly for 30 seconds.
- Stir in chicken broth and half and half; cook for two minutes or until sauce begins to thicken. Add peas, Parmesan, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt. Cook for 1 minute or until peas heated.
- Combine pasta/asparagus mixture with the rest of the dish; mix thoroughly and top with Parmesan.