Recipe by Sharon123
This is just delicious! Flavored with saffron, thyme, and extra-virgin olive oil, you're in for a taste treat! From Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites.
Top Review by blossomgirlNC
I too did not have any saffron on hand so I used the tumeric (fun to say!) and it was delish---much better than I had hoped! Filling and tasty without making me feel as if I ate a lot. I could have easily used my rice cooker for the rice part so the next time I will. This was my first Moosewood recipe attempt and it will stay in the every now and then file as it was that good, fun to make but with soooo many other recipes to try... Definitely recommended! FIVE STARS even if it says differently! ;o)
- 5 -6 artichoke hearts, packed in brine
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch saffron (I didn't have saffron, so substituted turmeric)
- 2 cups minced onions
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb asparagus, rinsed,trimmed,and cut into two-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh green peas or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen green peas (10-ounce package)
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped chives or 1⁄2 cup scallion
- steamed snow peas (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the artichoke hearts, reserving the brine.
- Quarter the artichoke hearts and set aside.
- Add water to the artichoke brine to make 2 1/2 cups of liquid and combine it with the rice, salt,and saffron in a heavy saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cover and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Reduce the heat and very gently simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 60 minutes.
- When the rice has simmered for about 25 minutes, saute the onions, celery, and garlic in the olive oil on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until the onions soften.
- Add the thyme, bell peppers, and asparagus, cover,and saute on medium heat,stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Add the peas, tomatoes, and reserved artichoke hearts, stir well, cover, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes,until the vegetables are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve the paella, spread the rice on a large platter or in a large bowl.
- Top the rice with the vegetables and their juices.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives or scallions and steamed snow peas,if you like.