Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Talk about a spring dish! I can't wait to try this!
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen artichoke heart, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup drained diced, canned tomato
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the saffron and remove from heat, set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the red pepper and onion and cook until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the artichokes and garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Reduce the heat to low, and ddd the rice and stir to combine.
- Add the broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat so that the mixture simmers.
- Add the reserved saffron water, paprika and salt, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cover, stir in the beans and peas, cover again and cook for 5 more minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve.