Prep 14 mins
Cook 45 mins
A nice addition to any dinner party.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 1⁄2 lb smoked ham, diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1⁄4 lb French style green bean, halved
- 1⁄4 lb asparagus, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Place the oil, butter and shallots in a heavy-bottomed pan and saute until softened.
- Stir in the rice and ham and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour the vegetable bouillon over the saffron and leave to soak. Strain over the rice and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the celery, beans and asparagus and simmer for a further 15-20 minutes until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in the scallions and cheese. Season to taste, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Serve hot.