Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 2 (9 ounce) packagesrefrigerated cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 (7 ounce) container basil pesto
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus; cut asparagus into 2-inch pieces.
- Prepare tortellini according to package directions; add asparagus pieces to pasta water during the last 2 minutes of cooking; drain.
- Pour off any excess oil from top of pesto container; In a large bowl, toss the tortellini mixture, pesto, lemon rind, and salt together.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts and serve immediately.
I added some grilled chicken to this to make it a one dish meal- this could also make a nice side dish for company. In other words, it's very versatile! The pesto and asparagus paired nicely. I substituted toasted almonds since my husband is not a pine nut fan. Don't skimp on the fresh lemon rind, it enhanced the pesto!
Ahhhh, sooo good! Just the right blend of crisp to soft. Loved it!