Recipe by Kat's Mom
I have never had a strawberry pie with a nut topping before and this was delicious. The addition of balsamic vinegar really helps sweeten the berries. This makes a *lot* of crust mixture. Times do not include 4 hours of chilling the pie or letting the nut topping cool. From www.WCTV.com by Barbra Crumpacker of Archbold Memorial Hospital.
- 1 1⁄3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- cooking spray
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups small strawberries
- 3 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon hazelnuts or 1 tablespoon almonds, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl, tossing with a fork until moist.
- Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the filling, combine strawberry slices and vinegar in a medium nonstick skillet.
- Place the berry mixture over medium-high heat; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in 1/4 cup sugar.
- Combine the water and cornstarch in a small bowl; add to pan, and bring to a boil.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in juice.
- Cool completely.
- Arrange whole strawberries, stem sides down, in crust.
- Pour cooled strawberry mixture over whole strawberries.
- Cover loosely, and chill 4 hours.
- To prepare the topping, combine graham cracker crumbs, nuts, sugar, and melted butter in a small bowl.
- Place crumb mixture in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Cook 2 minutes or until golden brown; cool.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture over pie.
- Top each serving with whipped topping.