Per Vegetarian Times, "Many Irish salad dressings are called cream dressings because they include lots of cream. Here, we’ve lightened the sauce and added whole-grain mustard and buttermilk for extra tang."
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounces asparagus, trimmed
- 1 medium head butter lettuce, leaves separated (4 cups)
- 1 small bunch watercress, trimmed (1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄2 small cucumber, thinly sliced into half-moons (1/2 cup)
- 5 radishes, tops removed and cut into quarters
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
- Place eggs in medium saucepan and fill with water to cover eggs by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and cover saucepan with lid. Let eggs sit 10 minutes, then remove with slotted spoon and place in bowl of cold water. Remove shells when cool.
- Bring water back to a boil, and add asparagus. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until bright green. Rinse under cold water, and pat dry. Cut into 1/2-inch diagonal slices.
- To make Dressing: Place shallots, mustard, vinegar, and sugar in small bowl, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk in mayonnaise and buttermilk until smooth.
- To assemble Salad: Lay butter lettuce leaves on 2 large plates followed by asparagus, watercress, cucumber, and radishes. Slice eggs into quarters, and arrange on top of Salad. Drizzle 2 Tbs. dressing over each serving.
we LOVED this!!! Made for our VIP of the veggie swap 7/10. :)
This was served yesterday for lunch as our main dish and it was easy to prepare, delicious and colorful. The method for cooking the hard boiled eggs was a bit different than the way I usually hard boil them but it worked out perfectly. Substituted mixed greens for butter lettuce. Will make again! Reviewed for Veg Tag July.