Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This was in the RSVP section of Bon Appetit magazine. From Flying Fish Restaurant; Seattle, Washington.
- 2 ounces dried mai fun noodles
- 12 ounces cooked shrimp, Chopped
- 1 cup green cabbage, Finely Chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, Peeled And Chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, Chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bean sprouts, Chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, Finely Chopped
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 16 egg roll wraps
- 1 large egg
- vegetable oil, For Frying
For Soy-Ginger Dipping Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup mirin
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 green onions, Finely Chopped
- 4 teaspoons ginger, Minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon hon dashi (Japanese bonito-type soup stock granules)
- Cook noodles in pot of boiling water until tender, about 1 minute.
- Drain. Rinse with cold water.
- Drain well.
- Coarsely chop.
- Place noodles in bowl. Mix in next 7 ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 egg roll wrapper on work surface.
- Place 1/4 cup shrimp mixture in 3-inch-long log down center of wrapper.
- Fold bottom of wrapper over filling, then fold in sides of wrapper over filling.
- Brush top edge of wrapper with egg.
- Roll up tightly, pressing to seal edge.
- Repeat with remaining wrappers and shrimp mixture. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover; chill.).
- Pour oil into heavy large pot to depth of 3 inches.
- Heat to 350°F
- Working in batches, add rolls to oil; deep-fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with sauce.
- To make soy-ginger dipping sauce:.
- Whisk all ingredients in bowl to blend. Makes about 1 cup.