Recipe by evelyn/athens
A Greek adaptation for spring rolls. These are rolled in filo pastry and baked. Also a great make-ahead appetizer/snack as you can freeze them and bake them as needed.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked small shrimp, peeled,deveined and chopped
- 1 cup minced water chestnut
- 1⁄2 cup minced smoked ham
- 1⁄2 cup minced green onion
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, blended with
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 15 phyllo pastry sheets
- 1 cup melted butter
- sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- For filling: Heat oils in wok, add ginger and garlic and stir-fry 30 seconds.
- Add sprouts, shrimp, water chestnuts, ham, green onion and carrot and stir-fry until sprouts start to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and cornstarch mixture and stir until vegetables are slightly glazed.
- Let cool.
- To assemble: Cut filo in half crosswise to form 8 x 11 inch rectangles.
- Fold in short end of 1 rectangle to for 8 inch square (cover remaining filo with damp towel).
- Brush square lightly with melted butter; turn square so corner is pointed towards you.
- Place 1 tblsp filling in corner and fold over to enclose.
- Fold over again.
- Fold left and right corner flaps towards center.
- Roll up from bottom to form neat rectangular package.
- Set seam-side-down on baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining filo and filling.
- (can be prepared ahead to this point; freeze, uncovered, until firm, then transfer to plastic bags and freeze until ready to use.) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brush rolls lightly with melted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake until golden-brown 10-15 minutes (Bake frozen rolls unthawed, 15-20 minutes).
- Serve immediately.