Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from Eileen Yin-Fie Los' cookbook, From theEarth, Chinese Vegetarian Cooking. I hope you enjoy! Putting here for safekeeping.
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 slices ginger, plus
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 4 cups thinly shredded napa cabbage (about 1 pound)
- 1 bunch scallion (3-inch of greens sliced)
- 1 cup broccoli floret, cut into small pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) package extra firm tofu, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 12 egg roll wraps
- 12 fresh cilantro stems (or parsley)
- peanut oil, for frying
- Mix the mustard with 3 tbls. water and set aside.
- Heat 2 quarts water with the sliced ginger and 1 tbls. salt. When it boils, add the cabbage, scallions, anad broccoli and cook for 1 1/2 minutes.(the water won't return to a boil). Drain the vegetables, rinse them with cold water, then wrap them in a clean towel and squeeze a few times until dry. Combine them with the tofu, minced ginger, and garlic. Sprinkle with the sesame oil, sugar, vinegar, and 3/4 teaspoons salt. Toss well and taste the mix to be sure it's seasoned to your taste.
- Lay one egg roll wrapper on the counter at a diagonal, with a corner facing you. Heap 3 tbls. of the filling crosswise, near the base. Lay a cilantro(or parsley) sprig on top. Fold up the lower corner, fold in the outer corners, then wrap. Repeat, using the rest of the filling. Place the egg rolls on a plate and cover with wax paper, then with plastic wrap, until ready to cook.
- To cook, heat 1/2" peanut oil in a medium skillet until hot enough to quickly sizzle a corner of an egg roll. Add two egg rolls and fry until golden, about 2 minutes. Turn and fry the second side, then remove to paper towels to drain. Continue frying the rest.
- Serve hot with mustard sauce or dipping sauce of your choice. Enjoy!