Recipe by Kevin L.
A simple appetizer and favorite of the family. Recipe from step by step chinese cooking with my lessons learned applied.
- 1 spring roll wrappers (1 package large)
- 2 mushrooms (either Dried Chinese, or Crimean)
- 4 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 ounces canned bamboo shoots, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ounces bean sprouts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- oil, for deep-fat frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate wrappers and cut each into 4 squares. I do these one at a time when I am ready to fill wrappers. You can substitute spring roll wrappers with egg roll wrappers. Tastes the same, appearance is a little different.
- Mushrooms - dry, remove stems and cut caps into this strips or chop. Set to side.
- Finely chop - onions, bamboo shoots, pepper, chicken and bean sprouts. (I chop each and put to side).
- In skillet, with 2 tablesppons of oil, cook chicken, onions, bamboo shoots, pepper and mushrooms till chicken is no longer pink.
- Add bean sprouts and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Stir in soy sauce and sugar, then set to side in skillet to cool.
- Take large wrapper and cut into 4 squares. Laying square like a diamond, place a spoonful of mixture on the wrapper and fold one point over it. Fold in the other two side points, then roll up towards the last point forming a log. Moisten last point with water and press to seal.
- Deep-fry spring rolls, a few at a time, in hot oil (375° ) till golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with Plum, duck, soy, mustard or spicy sauces as desired.