D. Todd Miller's Note:
This recipe is from Vanessa Lanier, chef of the High Point (North Carolina) Country Club. While it is time-consuming, the creamy result is worth the effort. The recipe was published in a local periodical.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into small pieces
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup arborio rice, uncooked
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup neufchatel cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, shaved
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Add asparagus and cook for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 2In a saucepan, add 1/4 cup water to 1 3/4 cups of chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- 3Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil and swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in peas, uncooked rice, and salt; cook for 1 minute.
- 4Stir in 1 cup broth mixture; cook for 4 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed before adding more (about 20 minutes total).
- 5Stir in asparagus, Neufchâtel cheese, and pepper; cook 1 minute. Spoon 1 cup risotto into each of 4 bowls.
- 6Top each serving with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese; sprinkle evenly with thyme.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spring Risotto With Asparagus
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.0
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 6.2 mg
- Sodium 631.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 13.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: