1 hr 10 mins
merron-iru kami's Note:
A nutty springtime risotto with peas, corn and young onions prominently featured. Brown rice is used instead of arborio rice to add a bit of protein and fiber (this also cuts down on the amount of time spent stirring, for which risotto has become so notorious). It also provides that wonderful toothy texture that good risotto should always provide. It is delicious and sure to impress! Most of the time for this recipe is passive cook time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 young onion, sliced into rounds, white and green parts separated
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium hard shelled squash
- 8 -10 cups vegan vegetable stock (should contain no cane sugar)
- 1 cup fresh peas, shelled
- 3 ears sweetcorn
- 1 cup soymilk
- vegan parmesan cheese, topping (optional)
- 1Heat sesame oil in a large stock pot or wok. Add the white part of the onion and saute until translucent.
- 2Add sherry and allow the alcohol to evaporate (should take 30-60 sec). Add uncooked rice, tossing it to moisten it completely. Add 8 cups of stock and bring to a boil.
- 3Meanwhile, cut the squash in half, scoop out the "guts", and place cut-side-down on a microwave-safe plate. Nuke on high for 8-10 minutes until flesh is tender and can be scooped out of the shell. Add flesh to the risotto pot and stir to combine.
- 4Steam peas and corn on the cob until tender-crisp. Cut the kernels off of 2 of the ears of corn. Cut the third ear into 6 or 8 cob rounds with a cleaver. Set aside.
- 5Once stock has reached a rolling boil, turn down heat to low and cover. Allow to cook for up to 45 minutes (or until rice is tender and much of the liquid has been absorbed), stirring occasionally. If rice becomes too dry or begins to stick during this time, you may add additional stock.
- 6Add as much remaining stock as is necessary to obtain the desired consistency (risotto should be smooth and still pourable). Once stock has come up to temp, add peas, corn kernels, the green portion of the onion and the soy milk.
- 7Warm through and serve. Garnish with corn cob rounds and faux parmesan, if desired.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spring Risotto (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.5
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 23.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: