Recipe by Kim127
This comes from the April 2005 issue of Cooking Light. They recommend that you do not substitute bacon for the pancetta as the smoky flavor would overwhelm the peas. The unsmoked pancetta really balances the sweetness of the new peas. You can substitute frozen petite green peas for the fresh.
Top Review by LifeIsGood
This became an instant favorite. Wow. I never thought I'd like peas so much! I used pancetta from Trader Joes that was already diced. The recipe came together quickly and easily and is going into my Best of the Best file. Made for ZWT7 for the Golden Gourmets. Gratzie!
- 3 slices pancetta (about 1 ounce)
- 3⁄4 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups shelled green peas
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and saute for about 5 minutes or until the pancetta is crispy. Remove pancetta. Chop pancetta into pieces.
- Add onion and garlic to the drippings in the skillet. Saute for 2-5 minutes until tender.
- Add peas, broth, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until the peas are at the desired tenderness.
- Stir in chopped parsley and pancetta. Stir and heat through.