Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A Rachel Ray 30 minute meal, hearty yet getting ready for spring!
- 10 ounces whole wheat penne
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup basil leaves, packed
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1⁄4 cup fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- fresh ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, salt it and add the pasta. Cook until al dente. Drain, reserving a couple of ladlefuls of the pasta cooking water.
- In a food processor, puree half the peas with the basil, cheese, olive oil, pine nuts, tarragon and lemon peel until coarsely chopped. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large serving dish, pour 2/3 cup reserved cooking water over the remaining peas, then stir in the pea pesto. Add the pasta and toss to combine. Serve in bowls and pass extra cheese and pepper mill around the table.
A little too much pea's for us but overall it was good. We added roasted garlic which worked well.