1/1 Photo of Spring Pasta Salad With Asparagus, Tomato and Mozzarella
1 hr 5 mins
Spring is in the air! So many recipes come to mind this time of year. Here's one you're sure to enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs asparagus, stems peeled if tough
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1/2 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 bunch scallion, about a dozen, sliced into thin rounds (or green onions)
- 2 dozen ripe cherry tomatoes, cut in half (to let them drain for about 20 minutes in a colander, to let them give up their juices)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped (about a large handful)
- 1Put up a large pot of salted water for cooking the pasta and bring it to a boil.
- 2Add the asparagus and blanch it until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- 3Scoop the asparagus from the water with a large strainer spoon and place in a colander. Run cold water over it to stop the cooking process, and to preserve the bright green color. Drain well and slice into small pieces on the diagonal, leaving the tips whole.
- 4Bring the water back to a rapid boil and cook the penne until just al dente (tender but slightly firm to the bite). Run the pasta under cold water and drain very well.
- 5In a large serving bowl, add the pasta, the blanched asparagus and all the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper and toss well until all the pasta is well coated with dressing. Taste for seasoning. This is best served at room temperature.
- 6Note: Another lovely addition to this pasta is about 3/4 cup freshly shelled spring peas. Blanch them for 1 minute in the boiling pasta water after you blanch the asparagus. Drain well and add them to the bowl along with the other ingredients.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spring Pasta Salad With Asparagus, Tomato and Mozzarella
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1004.9
- Calories from Fat 489
- Total Fat 54.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 44.8 mg
- Sodium 397.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.1 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 29.5 g