Prep 1 hr
Cook 55 mins
Use a paella pan.
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 1⁄2 lbs loin lamb, trimmed of any surface fat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces thick-cut pancetta, diced
- 1 large leek, white and pale green parts, sliced in half lengthwise, then thinly sliced
- 8 baby artichokes, halved, dark outer leaves removed, and stems trimmed
- 1 cup dry light white wine, preferably a Spanish wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 2 1⁄2 cups arborio rice or 2 1⁄2 cups valencia rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups shelled fresh peas or 1 1⁄2 cups thawed frozen peas
- Heat the broth and saffron on low heat in a saucepan until steaming but not simmering; decrease heat to very low, cover and keep warm.
- Position oven rack in center of oven; preheat oven to 375°; season lamb loin with salt and pepper.
- Heat a 14-inch paella pan over medium heat; swirl in the olive oil, then add the loin; brown on all sides, about 6 minutes; transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the pancetta to the pan; cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add in the leek; cook/stir until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the baby artichoke halves; cook/stir until aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Add in the wine and rosemary; bring the sauce to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits in the pan.
- Simmer until the wine has been reduced to a thick glaze, stirring once in a while, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice to coat well with the sauce; cook and stir constantly until translucent, about 1 minute.
- Pour in the warmed broth mixture; bring to a simmer.
- Decrease heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, slice the lamb into 1-inch pieces.
- When the rice has cooked 10 minutes, tuck the lamb pieces into the simmering sauce; sprinkle the peas over the top.
- Place in oven and bake until liquid has been mostly absorbed and the rice is fairly tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, set on a wire rack, cover tightly with foil, and set aside at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.