Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from Rachael Ray's magazine.
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb short pasta, such as ditalini (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 2 zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- fresh parsley, and
- of fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, about 4 minutes; reserve 2 tablespoons of the fat and drain the bacon on paper towels.
- In a large saucepan, heat the bacon fat over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add 4 cups water and the salt and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the pasta and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is just tender and the liquid is more than halfway absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, zucchini and peas and season with salt and pepper. Return to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are fork-tender, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan, herbs and lemon peel.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pasta and vegetables to bowls.
- Top with more parmesan and the reserved bacon.