Recipe by Sackville
I took the base for this recipe from the River Cafe Green cookbook, a famous Italian Restaurant in London. However, I gave it a Spanish twist by using chorizo instead of pancetta. You could certainly take it back to the Italian version if you prefer, or make it more North American by just adding bacon.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, white part sliced
- 1 carrot, finely choped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 chorizo sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 150 g shelled broad beans
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan, then add the onion, leek and carrot.
- Saute over a low heat until soft.
- Add the garlic, potatoes and chorizo and cook again for a few minutes.
- Add the broad beans and stock and simmer for 20 minutes or until the broad beans are soft.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then take half of the soup and puree it in a food processor.
- Return the puree to the main soup and stir.
- You should have a quite thick consistency, but you can add more chicken stock if desired.
- Drizzle with extra olive oil and serve topped with parmesan cheese, if you like.