Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
I love making this with garden fresh green peas and asparagus. Delicious. Adapted from a Moosewood recipe.
Top Review by Zaccaria
I am in love. I could eat bowl after bowl of this wonderful soup. I added a can of tomatoes and some white wine to the cooking. I loved the fennel as well. Chopped fresh fennel would be good in this soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 leeks, washed and chopped (white and green tender parts only)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel (I use 1 t. fennel seed)
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups stock
- 1 cup cubed zucchini
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded greens (such as Swiss chard, kale, or spinach)
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup cut asparagus (2-inch pieces)
- 1 dash fresh lemon juice or 1 dash cider vinegar, to taste
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, add oil; heat over medium heat.
- Add in onions and garlic; saute for 5 minutes or until onions are softened.
- Add in the leeks and saute/stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the celery, oregano, fennel, salt and pepper to taste; continue to saute/stir for another 5 minutes.
- Add in vegetable stock; stir and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, add the zucchini and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in the white beans and return to a gentle simmer.
- Add in the greens, peas, and asparagus; simmer for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Right before ready to serve, add the lemon juice or vinegar.
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls; sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.