Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love making this with garden fresh green peas and asparagus. Delicious. Adapted from a Moosewood recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 leeks, washed and chopped (white and green tender parts only)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel (I use 1 t. fennel seed)
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups stock
- 1 cup cubed zucchini
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded greens (such as Swiss chard, kale, or spinach)
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup cut asparagus (2-inch pieces)
- 1 dash fresh lemon juice or 1 dash cider vinegar, to taste
- grated parmesan cheese
- In a large soup pot, add oil; heat over medium heat.
- Add in onions and garlic; saute for 5 minutes or until onions are softened.
- Add in the leeks and saute/stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the celery, oregano, fennel, salt and pepper to taste; continue to saute/stir for another 5 minutes.
- Add in vegetable stock; stir and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, add the zucchini and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in the white beans and return to a gentle simmer.
- Add in the greens, peas, and asparagus; simmer for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Right before ready to serve, add the lemon juice or vinegar.
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls; sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
I am in love. I could eat bowl after bowl of this wonderful soup. I added a can of tomatoes and some white wine to the cooking. I loved the fennel as well. Chopped fresh fennel would be good in this soup.
The secret to the good taste is the broth. We prefer doing making the broth because some ready-made vegetable broths taste salty. To make your own broth, simply add carrots and some fresh herbs, including a few slices of ham or beef and voila ! you´ve got the best spring minestrone :) Thanks for sharing NurseDi
Homemade soup is something I enjoy having for lunch. This one tasted great and was healthy. I used fresh peas, asparagus, and baby spinach. I liked the flavor from the fennel. Very snappy. A very cool spring soup. Thanks.