This was my father's recipe. He was a professional caterer and loved to develop new recipes. Our family was lucky that he'd try them out on us first! This lamb was excellent.And the unique part about it was that instead of serving it with mint jelly, he incorporated it into a brown gravy, so the flavor is subtle, but incredibly good! I make this every Easter for our family. Preparation time includes two days for marinating
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 lbs california spring lamb
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 12 garlic cloves, minced (I mince it in the mini food chopper)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 3 -4 lemons, juice of
- salt and pepper
For one quart sauce use
- 1Starting 2-3 days BEFORE cooking, purchase spring lamb.
- 2At Easter time, it's a good idea to order it from a butcher in advance.
- 3Have the butcher take the bone out AND remove the gland, but tell him NOT to tie it.
- 4Ask for the string so you can tie it at home after marinating.
- 5At home, rub the lamb well, inside and out with the combined marinating ingredients.
- 6Roll up lengthwise and use the butcher's string to tie it up by tying lengths of string every 2-3 inches.
- 7Marinate the lamb for two days before cooking.
- 8On the day of cooking, plan on 2 hours of roasting time.
- 9Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 10Place lamb in roasting pan and roast (uncovered) for 20 minutes and then reduce heat to 250°F and continue baking for about 1 1/2 hours.
- 11Meat thermometer should reach 140°F.
- 12Remove lamb from oven and let rest, covered in foil, while making gravy.
- 13Make one quart of brown gravy using a good quality beef base and diluting it with 3 1/2 cups hot water.
- 14Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and thicken with roux.
- 15Add the sherry and butter, whisking to blend well.
- 16Season with salt and pepper and stir in the mint jelly, stirring until melted.
- 17Serve with lamb.
- 18For roux: Melt 4 tbsp butter in saucepan over medium heat, and add 4 tbsp flour.
- 19Stir constantly with wooden spoon about 1 minute.
- 20Remove from heat.
- 21(See "roux" search if you need further details).
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spring Lamb With Minted Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 658.1
- Calories from Fat 426
- Total Fat 47.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 170.1 mg
- Sodium 186.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 42.9 g