This is a winning recipe that was printed in the April/May 2009 Taste of Home. It is credited to Kristin Lossak of Bozzman, MT. I have not used the goat cheese but have made this several times using crumbled feta. When adding the cheese, I don't measure but give a nice sprinkling. The dressing makes it all come together.
- 2⁄3 pecan halves
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (5 ounce) package mixed baby lettuces and spring greens
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cansliced beets, drained
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese, or
- 1 cup crembled feta cheese
- In a small bowl toss together the pecans, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and water; add to a warmed heavy skillet and heat until nuts are toasted, about 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the toasted pecans with sugar and continue to cook and stir for 2 to 4 minutes or until sugar melts; spread on foil lined pan to cool.
- In a medium size bowl combine the syrup, mustard, salt and remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar; whisk in the olive oil until thoroughly incorporated.
- In a large salad bowl add the salad greens, beets and goat cheese, sprinkle with cooled pecans, drizzle with salad dressing, toss lightly and serve on chilled salad plates.
- Any remaining dressing keeps well for a few days in the refirgerator.
Great salad! I added 2 tablespoons balsamico to the dressing, just to give little more zing.
Excellent salad. I just loved those toasted and sugared pecans! The dressing was really wonderful, too. I used the goat cheese because I love it with beets. I did add some onions, but that's all I did differently. Thanx for sharing this awesome salad!
Loved this salad! I used the last of my little beets from the garden and feta cheese. All so good together, I will make again. Thanks Paula! Made for the Diabetic party!