Recipe by BecR
Easy, fast yet oh-so-elegant. A delightful spring-green soup that is wonderful served garnished with bacon bits, sour cream and fresh snipped parsley. From the local newspaper.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb frozen baby lima bean (3 cups)
- 1 large onion (for about 1 cup chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- sour cream (optional for garnish)
- bacon bits (optional for garnish)
- snipped flat leaf parsley (optional for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot or Dutch oven, place the broth and water over high heat. Add the lima beans and cover.
- Peel and chop the onion and add it to the pot. Add the salt, pepper and garlic.
- Keep the pot covered until the mixture comes to a boil. Then uncover and stir. Cover the pot and cook on medium-high, keeping a steady boil for 10 minutes, or until the beans are tender.
- Remove the soup from the stove. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until it is smooth (or you can use a potato masher to do this). Place the pot over medium heat.
- In a small jar that has a lid, add the cornstarch and 1/4 cup cool tap water, and shake to mix well. Drizzle the cornstarch mixture into the soup, and stir constantly until the soup thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with bacon bits, sour cream and parsley, if desired.