Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from The Pampered Chef. It is elegant yet simple to make, and oh-so-yummy!
- 1 lemon
- 3 (15 1/4 ounce) cans sliced peaches in juice, drained
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (3 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix (not instant)
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 16 slices white bread, firm textured
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Zest lemon and set aside.
- Juice lemon and measure out 1 tablespoons.
- In a bowl, combine peaches, blueberries, pie filling, lemon juice, and cinnamon.
- Mix gently.
- Reserve 1 cup of fruit mixture and pour remainder into an 8 x 12 inch oval baking dish, mounding slightly in center.
- In a 1 quart bowl, blend pudding mix, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and egg with a whisk.
- Cut crusts off bread with a serrated knife.
- Dip each bread slice quickly into egg mixture on each side to coat lightly.
- Arrange slices in overlapping circular pattern around edges of dish, on top of fruit, leaving center open.
- Pour any remaining egg mixture over bread.
- Spoon reserved fruit mixture into center opening.
- Bake 23 to 30 minutes, or until edges of bread are a deep golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar (use a shaker or put in a sieve and shake it over).
- Sprinkle lemon zest over top.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
- NOTE: Three large fresh peaches (1 1/4 lbs.), pitted and cut into 1-inch pieces can be substituted for canned peaches.
This was a unique dish to serve for brunch. All my friends were very curious about it when it came out of the oven. I did not use blueberries as it was not the right season, so I used a bag of mixed fruit - this was not such a good idea as it took up more space than the blueberries so I had some bubbling over. Although it is very pretty in the oval baking dish, next time I think I will make it in a 9x13 and completely cover the top with bread - because the bread part was very yummy. Thanks for posting the recipe.