1/1 Photo of Spring Frittata With Ham, Asparagus, and Herbs
This comes from a cookbook called "Food to Live By". So far every single recipe I've tried from it has been AMAZING. This one was no exception. I used honey ham deli meat for the ham, egg beaters and soymilk instead of milk.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup finely sliced leek, white and light green parts
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 4 asparagus spears, woody ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup ham, cut into 1/3 inch dice
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese or 1/3 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1melt butter in an 8 or 9 inch nonstick, ovenproof skillet over low heat. Add the leek and garlic and cook very slowly, stirring frequently, until soft and golden, about 10 minutes, then set skillet aside off the heat.
- 2Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with water and ice cubes and set aside.
- 3Bring a skillet of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the asparagus spears and cook until blanched, about 2 minutes. Immediately drain the asparagus in a colander, then plunge into the bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain asparagus again.
- 4Cut asparagus spears into 1/2 inch pieces. Scatter asparagus and ham over the leek mixture in the skillet.
- 5Preheat the broiler and set the rack about 5 inches from the heat source.
- 6Place the eggs and milk in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Add dill, chives and lemon zest, then season with salt and pepper.
- 7Add the egg mixture to the skillet with the leek mixture and cook, without stirring, over medium-low heat until the bottom and sides have set, about 4 minutes. The top of the frittata will still be wet.
- 8Sprinkle the cheese over the frittata and place the skillet under the broiler. Cook until the top puffs and turns golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Remove from the broiler and let it rest for 2 minutes.
- 9Run a heat-proof rubber spatula or small knife around the edge of the frittata to release it from the skillet. Slide it onto a serving plate. Cut into 4 wedges and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spring Frittata With Ham, Asparagus, and Herbs
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 427.0
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 610.3 mg
- Sodium 1021.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 35.2 g