Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by Space Cake Cook
I got this recipe from her 365 book and was really excited to try my first Rachael Ray! The lemon is an absolute must, it is what made the meal and I would not cut it out! Also, you can make the chickenbroth-lemon rice in a rice cooker, in case you were wondering. I added broccli and mushrooms to up the veggie content, and subbed cilantro for parsley because I prefer the stronger flavor. However, I still felt like the chicken was a little bland. I'm going to try it again adding onions, garlic, and pepper while it cooks and see how that works.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs chicken breast tenders, cut into large bite-size pieces
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed of tough tops and roots
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (10 ounce) boxfrozen tender green peas
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan; stir in rice, lemon zest, and 1 tablespoon olive oil; return to a boil, then decrease heat to a simmer and cover pan; cook 17-18 minutes, until tender.
- Heat a big nonstick skillet over med-high heat; add in 2 tablespoons olive oil and the butter.
- When the butter melts into the oil; add the chicken to the pan; saute until lightly golden on both sides, 4 minutes.
- Cut leeks in half lengthwise, then slice into ½-inch half-moons.
- Place leeks in a colander and wash under cold running water, separating the layers and releasing all the grit; drain leeks well and add them to the chicken.
- Cook the leeks with the chicken until they wilt down, 3 minutes or so.
- Add white wine to the pan and scrape up any pan drippings.
- Add in the peas and heat through, another minute or two; turn off the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the chicken and leeks.
- Fluff the rice with a fork; add parsley to rice and toss to combine.
- Pile the chicken and leeks on dinner plates and top with a small mound of lemon rice (recommend using an ice cream scoop to serve the rice).