Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a variation of Deluxe Chicken or Turkey Salad (julia Child) which was taken from Julia Child's "The Way to Cook". I am not a fan of tarragon, and I wanted a more complex flavor, so there are more herbs and spices. Now I think it's the best turkey salad I've had.
- 6 cups skinless and boneless cooked chicken or 6 cups cooked turkey, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt (start low and adjust to taste)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper (start low and adjust to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper (I use Tones seafood seasoning, which is much like lemon pepper) or 1⁄2 teaspoon lime pepper (I use Tones seafood seasoning, which is much like lemon pepper)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (have more on hand to adjust flavor at the end)
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley, leaves only
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, whites and greens, sliced thinly
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts or 3⁄4 cup pecans
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (no substitutes)
- 1. In a large mixing bowl, toss chicken or turkey with salt, pepper, lemon pepper, garlic powder, thyme, marjoram, basil, olive oil and lemon juice.
- 2. Add celery, parsley, green onions, and nuts-- mix well, and let marinate for 10 minutes.
- 3. Add mayonnaise and mix thoroughly.
- 4. Taste the salad, and adjust the salt, pepper, and fresh lemon juice to taste.
- 5. May be prepared a day in advance; cover well and refrigerate.