Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've never had Fricassee before, so I'm looking forward to this one!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 " lengths
- 1 cup fresh peas, shelled
- 4 cooked red potatoes, quartered
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- While the oil heats, season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the pan and brown on all sides.
- As the chicken pieces finish browning, remove them to a plate and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the onion.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to wilt, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet.
- Add the wine, let it boil rapidly for a minute and stir with a wooden spoon to remove any bits that may be stuck to the pan.
- Add the chicken broth, turn down the heat so that the mixture simmers slowly and place a lid, slightly ajar, over the skillet.
- Cook until the chicken is completely tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a small pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the asparagus and cook until it is crisp-tender, about 2 to 3 minutes, then drain.
- Add the asparagus and peas to the chicken, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes to heat through.
- To serve, heat the cooked potatoes and divide them among 4 bowls.
- Add chicken, asparagus and peas to each bowl and spoon some of the sauce over the top.