1/1 Photo of Spring Chicken & Barley Soup
1 hr 5 mins
A light, barley soup. . .perfect for Spring and Summer. This is a high fiber, low fat and heart healthy soup. Recipe originally from Eating Well Magazine, but switched up a bit after making! Feel free to add some salt free all purpose seasoning or Italian Seasoning in the last 5 minutes of cooking; I used Don's Flavor Enhancer With Very Low Sodium with great results. The orange peel is the secret ingredient in this recipe. . .brightens it right up!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large chicken breast, skin removed, trimmed (8-10 ounces)
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 1/3 cup shredded fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup trimmed and diagonally sliced asparagus (1/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup thawed frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup lightly packed torn fresh basil leaf
- 1 strip orange zest (1/2 by 2 inches)
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onion and celery and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 4 minutes.
- 2Add garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 3Add broth, chicken and barley. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- 4Return the broth to a simmer and cook until the barley is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, shred the chicken or cut into bite-size pieces; discard the bone.
- 6When the barley is done, add the chicken, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes with juice, asparagus, peas, salt and a grinding of pepper; return to a simmer.
- 7Cover and cook over low heat until the asparagus is tender, about 5 minutes more.
- 8Gather basil and orange zest and finely chop together.
- 9Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle each serving with a generous pinch of the basil mixture.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spring Chicken & Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (421 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 275.4
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 23.2 mg
- Sodium 693.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 20.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: