Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is from the Kraft website.
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 1⁄4 ounces Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, grated, divided
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb asparagus, cooked until crisp-tender
- 1 cup frozen peas, cooked
- BRING 1-1/2 quart (6 cups) salted water to boil in large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add barley; return water to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 45 minute or until barley is tender. Drain; cool.
- BEAT salad dressing mix, lemon juice, vinegar and oil in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended.
- Add barley; toss to coat.
- CUT asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Add to barley mixture along with the peas and lemon peel; mix lightly.
This salad definitely benefits from time in the frig before serving. It's healthy and delicious. The sweetness of the peas and asparagus and chewiness of the barley are delightful. I used Italian Salad Dressing Mix #1505.