Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Publix Greenwise Market Magazine, June 2007. Evaporated fat free milk has had much of its water removed, so it offers more than twice as much calcium per cup as regular nonfat milk. Its thick, creamy texture makes it a perfect soup ingredient.
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 12 ounces fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a medium saucepan stir together water, instant chicken bouillon granules, lemon peel, fresh cilantro,and crushed red pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain the liquid, discarding the solids; return the liquid to the saucepan.
- Return liquid to boiling. Add the asparagus to saucepan. Reduce heat to low and simme, covered, about 4 to 6 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Set aside a few of the aparagus tips for garnish. Carefully transfer the rest of the mixture to a blender or food processor; cover and blend or process until smooth. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan gradually stir milk into cornstarch. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. (The mixture may be slightly foamy.) Gradually add the asparagus mixture, stirring constantly. Heat through.
- Ladle the asparagus soup into soup bowls. Top with reserved asparagus tips.