Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this recipe in Better Homes and Gardens Magazine and being an asparagus lover myself, decided to share it with my friends ; ) This makes 6 main dish servings. Would make a nice brunch, or light supper served with a salad.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 ounces asparagus spears, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1 (10 ounce) package prepared pizza crust
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 5 beaten eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded swiss cheese (6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- shaved parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Coat a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan cook the asparagus, covered, in a small amount of boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Drain; set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the grated Parmesan and basil.
- Sprinkle a work surface with half of the mixture.
- Roll out pizza dough on the surface to a 12-inch square.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan mixture.
- Using a rolling pin, gently press into dough by rolling over top.
- Turn dough into prepared pan.
- Press dough up the sides of the pan, folding under edges as needed to form sides that are 2 inches high.
- Line dough in pan with a double thickness of foil.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove foil.
- Bake 5 minutes more.
- Remove from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet cook bacon until crisp.
- Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Cook onion in reserved drippings over medium heat until tender but not brown; drain.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together eggs, milk, salt, and nutmeg.
- Stir in crumbled bacon and onion.
- Toss together Swiss cheese and flour.
- Add to egg mixture; mix well.
- Pour egg mixture into the dough-lined pan.
- Toss asparagus halves with the oil.
- Arrange asparagus in a spokeline pattern on top of egg mixture.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Remove sides of pan to serve.
- Top with shaved Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Makes 6 main-dish servings.
This was fabulous! I'm not the biggest lover of asparagus, but my fiancé loves it, so I made this primarily for him. I loved it too though!! It's really easy to make and delicious!
This was fabulous! I used the recipe more as a guideline, because I a) was too lazy to make a crust, and b) didn't have all the ingredients. I used fresh basil, plus fresh dill, and a prepared crust. I used ham instead of bacon, and green onions instead of white. But what I ended up with was amazing! I had some leftover and made mini crustless quiche in a muffin pan, which will be a yummy breakfast in the morning.
I knew I would like this because I love asparagus mixed with scrambled eggs. This brings it to a whole new level. Absolutely delicious and I wouldn't change a thing. Well worth the effort. Thanks for another super recipe, Bev.