Recipe by French Tart
A light, fresh and very tasty potato salad, which is more of a meal than a side dish! I made this up when I had a few spears of fresh asparagus left, some boiled potatoes and some honey roast ham in the fridge! This recipe/idea is for two people - but it can be increased with ease, hence my listing of the ingredients in numbers, rather than in ounces or grammes! The dressing can be made ahead......and, hopefully it will be warm enough to sit outside and soak up the spring or early summer sun......c'est Parfait!
Top Review by Brenda.
A delicious, light salad that brought a touch of Spring to my Winter kitchen. I did not use the cornichons, but did garnish with crisp bacon crumbled and a chopped hard cooked egg. The dressing was light and flavorful, and I may even double it next time. I used balsamic vs sherry. A truly ideal choice for a picnic as it is light, yet satisfying. Thank You for sharing. Nick's Mom
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or 1 teaspoon mustard, of your choice
- black pepper
- 3 large boiled potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 -10 asparagus cooked asparagus spears, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 4 slices of cooked honey roast ham, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 red onion, peeled and very finely chopped
- 8 cornichons, sliced (optional)
- black pepper
- chopped fresh chives or chopped fresh chervil
- cooked fresh broad bean (optional)
- grilled and crumbled crispy bacon (optional)
- fresh peas, in their pods (optional)
- stuffed green olive (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make up the dressing by putting all the dressing ingredients into a jar and shaking it well. The dressing can be made up well in advance.
- Choose two attractive plates or bowls and start to assemble the salad.
- Place the potatoes on the plate/bowl first and then arrange the strips of ham & asparagus spears over the top - gently mix through to "just" mingle the ingredients together.
- Next, scatter the minced/finely diced red onion over and then the sliced cornichons - if you are using them.
- Pour over the honey & mustard dressing - giving the salad a liberal dousing!
- Season and scatter the chopped chives and/or the chopped chervil over the top.
- Serve with crusty bread & a glass of crisp, chilled white Chablis or Chardonnay!
- Optional ideas:.
- You could also add peas, broad beans, olives or crispy bacon!