1/6 Photos of Spotted Dick! Traditional British Steamed Fruit Sponge Pudding
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 30 mins
French Tart's Note:
I am finally posting my recipe for Spotted Dick! This delicious steamed sponge pudding with currants is a British schoolboy favourite from the days when school dinners were not only tasty and nourishing, but may have been the only hot meal of the day for some children. Originally, Spotted Dick would have been made with beef suet and breadcrumbs - this recipe has been updated for modern tastes, and uses vegetarian suet or butter with flour. Serve this with English custard for a comforting and nostalgic flavour explosion! Steaming is so easy, and whilst it bubbles and simmers away, you are free to do other things around the kitchen, such as prepare the custard!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease a 600 ml (1 pint) pudding basin.
- 2Mix together the dry ingredients.
- 3Add the egg and sufficient milk to produce a smooth dropping consistency.
- 4Place the mixture into prepared pudding basin.
- 5Cover with pleated greaseproof paper and foil and steam for about 1½ hours.
- 6Turn out and serve hot with custard or syrup.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spotted Dick! Traditional British Steamed Fruit Sponge Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.0
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 48.6 mg
- Sodium 63.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 21.0 g
- Protein 5.8 g