3 hrs 10 mins
Lynn in RI's Note:
This recipe was posted to rec.food.cooking in 1993 by someone in the U.K. It is the recipe her family uses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the flour, currants and grated suet (it should have the general consistency of mouse droppings) very lightly by hand.
- 2Moisten with a couple of tablespoons of cold water, enough to give a dryish pastry texture.
- 3DO NOT RUB, only stir enough to bind the ingredients together.
- 4The mixture can be put into a buttered basin and covered with first a layer of foil, then a cloth (tied on with string), but the usual way is to make a thick roll shape, and wrap it in buttered greaseproof (waxed?) paper, and tie into a cloth.
- 5Boil in a lot of water for two to three hours on top of the stove, or all day if using a crock pot.
- 6To serve, slice it into 1" thick chunks while still hot.
- 7Some people serve it with egg custard, but others consider serving spotted dick with moist brown sugar and a large spoonful of salted butter a must.
- 8Use both if you like.
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spotted Dick
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1827.5
- Calories from Fat 1032
- Total Fat 114.7 g
- Saturated Fat 63.1 g
- Cholesterol 81.7 mg
- Sodium 24.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 188.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 72.4 g
- Protein 17.9 g