Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I call this spoon tender because its so tender you can cut it with a spoon. This makes great tomato gravy while it cooks and is great served over rice. Sometimes I will add carrots, bell pepper, and fresh mushrooms to the pot.
- 3 lbs round steaks, cut into medium size chunks
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomatoes, mashed with juice
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (2 ounce) package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- flour, for dredging
- Salt and pepper the steak, coat with flour, and then brown in skillet in olive oil on both sides.
- After all the steak is browned, put in a medium size pot with lid.
- Pour in the tomatoes you have crushed with the juice. Add all other ingredients, mix well. Add about 1/2 cup water and mix again.
- Bring to a boil and stir. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 11/2 hours until tender.
- Serve with rice.
This is wonderful! I cook it exactly as the recipe says. Very easy and the round steak turned out perfectly tender. I make this often and serve it with quinoa instead of rice.
This gets a 5 for me bcz I never liked the "Swiss steak" type round steak when I was a kid. I wanted something different and this turned out great! I love the sauce. Instead of tomatoes, I used 24 oz tomato sauce, homemade "Lipton" soup mix and gf flour. Cooked for 1 hour and was pretty tender (but not spoon tender) for round steak, BUT my steak was tenderized by the butcher also. I might try it the full 1 1/2 hrs next time. DH thought it would be good in the crock pot too. Served with elbow noodles (gf).
Pretty much made this as written except I added a finely chopped green pepper and I quickly cooked the onion and green pepper in the skillet I'd browned the meat in before adding it to the pot. I guess I missed the part about adding 1/2 cup water in Step 3 but we didn't miss it and it turned out fine. I even left the lid just a tiny bit open on my pot for the last 20 minutes to let the sauce thicken up. I thought this had very good flavor and the meat was very tender. We had it over rice. I think my husband would prefer egg noodles but I enjoyed the rice. I would make it again.