Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
I call this spoon tender because its so tender you can cut it with a spoon. This makes great tomato gravy while it cooks and is great served over rice. Sometimes I will add carrots, bell pepper, and fresh mushrooms to the pot.
- 3 lbs round steaks, cut into medium size chunks
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomatoes, mashed with juice
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (2 ounce) package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- flour, for dredging
Directions See How It's Made
- Salt and pepper the steak, coat with flour, and then brown in skillet in olive oil on both sides.
- After all the steak is browned, put in a medium size pot with lid.
- Pour in the tomatoes you have crushed with the juice. Add all other ingredients, mix well. Add about 1/2 cup water and mix again.
- Bring to a boil and stir. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 11/2 hours until tender.
- Serve with rice.