Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
We really like spoon bread. Good with fish. This recipe comes from Mastercook. The recipe was given to them by the Actor who played Festus in the old" Gunsmoke" TV series.
- 1 (1 lb) can cream-style corn
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chilies, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine corn, milk, shortening, eggs, cornmeal, soda, baking powder, salt, drained chiles and cheese.
- Mix well.
- Pour into greased 9-inch square pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes until golden.
- Serve hot.
I've been looking for this recipe for about 15 years. Was one of my favorite for barbeques and fish fries. It was in old lost cookbook and was called mexican spoonbread. Great flavor and texture. Good leftover and even cold. Thank you Festus. Miss you and have dicovered even more of your great recipes
i made this as part of a post thanksgiving dinner, and we enjoyed . next time i think i'll cut the shortening down to 2 tbsp, it was a bit oily, and possibly add some cayenne, cumin, and hot sauce .