Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
One of favourite comfort food! Flavourful meat base with smooth cheesy spoon bread topping - yum. I don't know where the recipe came from but it's been with me for more than 30 years. I like to double the topping for a real comforting meal. The dish can be prepared and stored in the fridge ready to pop into the oven for a delicious after work meal.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 26 ounces canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 12 ounces canned corn
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄4 lb grated cheese
- 2 eggs
- Brown the meat, sauté the onions and peppers. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, tomatoes, corn and chili powder and simmer for 5 minute Stir in 1/2 c cornmeal and 1 c water. Transfer to a casserole dish.
- Heat the milk with the 1 tsp salt and butter and stir in 1/2 c cornmeal. Cook until thick. Stir in the cheese and beaten eggs. Pour over the meat mixture.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 1 hour or until he topping is cooked to a cake-like consistency.
Was ok but very bland. I used cheddar cheese and couldn't taste it at all. The cornbread topping did not remind me at all of a tamale but more like a pancake. For leftovers I put salsa on the plate then the pie then topped with more cheese and reheated.