Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe has the taste of cornbread, with a creamy texture. It's almost a cross between a souffle and cornbread. Great comfort food! Serves 2.
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups boiling water
- 2⁄3 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Use the butter or margarine to grease two 2-cup baking dishes.
- Sift the cornmeal, sugar and salt together. Pour in the water and stir until smooth.
- Beat in the milk, eggs and baking powder.
- Pour the batter into the greased dishes. Set on a cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
I made this tonight as my first souffle and my first spoonbread all in one. It rose beautifully. We thought the portions were a bit large and would probably make it into three servings. We also felt it was a bit bland and could use a touch more sweet and salt. I'm not sure how to adjust those without messing with the souffle aspect, but I simply salted my bites and loved the texture. I'll be excited to eat my other half tomorrow. Thanks, Pimienta!
I have been making this dish for breakfast for several months and it is always great. It is wonderful with berries and syrup. Thank you for a great dish.
A lovely, light, slightly sweet tasting spoonbread! I didn't have 2-cup dishes, so used a larger dish and baked it all as one. Thank you Pimienta!