Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
This recipe was handed down by my grandfather and then my father. However, all the quantities are a little bit of this and a pinch of that. Have done my best to do it justice by measuring out the ingredients. I hope it comes out all right! I am sure it can be made with low-fat ingredients and it won't affect the taste, too much.
- 3 large onions, in 1/2-inch slices
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- cottage cheese, garnish
- sour cream, garnish
- sugar, garnish
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Butter a 2 quart baking dish.
- Add 4 Tablespoons of butter to large sauté pan add onions. Sauté for about 15 minutes until golden, not too brown.
- In a large bowl add cornmeal and moisten with hot water until all the meal is moist but not too wet.
- In a smaller bowl beat the eggs together then add to cornmeal.
- Add the sautéed onions with butter, sour cream, cottage cheese, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Combine all those ingredients together. Mix well. If it still looks dry add the rest of butter or some extra sour cream.
- Put it into a buttered & covered baking dish and bake for 45 minutes; remove cover and brown on top, about 10-15 minutes.
- Watch it so it does not burn.
- Spoon bread will be brown and crusty on the outside and soft creamy inside.
- Serve with sugar, sour cream & cottage cheese or savory with more black pepper and if desired more salt.
I loved this! The texture is so great...very creamy and soft. The onions are very good in this, and I recommend you saute them for a long time in the full amount of butter (I don't think this would be as good if the onions were still crunchy). I will definitely be making this again; maybe in ramekins for individual servings. Thanks for posting this one!!
well this was just delicious. i made it for a potluck and it got demolished. i made it again for just us and i sprinkled parmasean cheese on it when i took the foil off for the last 10 min and it was soo good. thanks for a great recipe that i will be making again!!