Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another recipe we use for our annual Kentucky Derby parties. This one is from House & Garden, January 1965, credited to James A. Beard.
- Pour the milk into the upper part of a double boiler and cook over hot water until the milk almost reaches a boil.
- Add the cornmeal slowly, stirring constantly. Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture is thick and smooth. This should take only about 1 minute. Do not let the mixture get too thick.
- Add the salt and butter and remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- Beat the egg yolks until light and yellow and add to the cornmeal.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry and carefully fold into the cornmeal.
- Pour into a well-buttered casserole and bake in a 375°F oven 35-40 minutes, or until well puffed and browned on top. Serve from the casserole and pass butter, salt and pepper.