Prep 19 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love Spoon Bread! I love this recipe! From House & Garden.
- Pour the milk into the upper part of a double boiler and cook over hot water until the milk almost reaches a boil.
- Add the cornmeal slowly, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- This should take only about 1 minute.
- Do not let the mixture get too thick.
- Add the salt and butter and remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- Beat the egg yolks until light and yellow and add to the cornmeal.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry and carefully fold into the cornmeal.
- Pour into a well-buttered casserole and bake in a 375°F.
- oven 35-40 minutes, or until well puffed and browned on top.
- Serve from the casserole and pass butter, salt and pepper.
- Serves 6.
Wonderful. It has been a long time since I had spoon bread, and this recipe tasted as I remember. So good!! I made it without changing anything, because the simple way is best. It came out of the oven looking so beautiful. Lots of butter, and ahhhhh! Thanks, Bev for this wonderful recipe to add to my T&T cookbook.
This is so delicious! If you've never tried spoon bread, this is the one to try. Easy to make - I didn't change a thing! Thanks Bev for sharing a wonderful recipe.
I regret trying this recipe. Ever since my roommate tasted this with homemade kumquat preserves, I have to keep making more! Too good...