Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A warm dish of spoon bread is welcome at any meal.
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, cut up
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pour 3 cups boiling water gradually over cornmeal in a large bowl, stirring until smooth.
- Add salt and butter, stirring until well blended; let stand 10 minutes.
- Gradually stir in milk and eggs.
- Stir in baking powder.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until lightly browned.